Sunday, July 3, 2011

I wish I knew when I was younger...

It was just time for dinner when my mom got home from work & handed me a piece of paper, she told me, "I saved this for you". It was a newspaper article that she cut out to give to me. It went something like this..

" I wish I knew when I was younger "

1. That failure was an option
2. That there's a difference between friends & drinking buddies
3. That honesty, in all situations is always, always, always the best policy
4. How to feel comfortably weird about being a little weird
5. How much my mum & dad loved me, & all the warnings I got came from a place of love
6. That my thoughts dont have to dictate my life
7. That home really is where the heart is
8. That intelligence is not something you're born with, it's something that can be worked on
9. That being positive can really change your thoughts , which can indeed change your life
10. How to say NO
11. That the phrase "just try it" should apply to everything we do in life
12. That not being perfect is ok, that in fact striving for perfection is an impossible task
13. That not being "well off" didn't mean I didn't have a rich life
14. That losing myself in a book wasn't a substitute for living
15. That my thoughts actually control how I feel, & how I feel affects the way I see the world
16. That sex is a physical act & that love is something different altogether
17. Never to settle for second best, whether it be in relationships, product choice, or employment
18. That loving yourself was a pre requisite to truly loving others
19. That my mistakes would define me as the person I am today
20. Never to actively participate in gossip, it's the black death of the soul
21. That nobody can be changed no matter how hard you try to change them. People change because the pain of changing is less than the pain of not changing
22. How to express my love more
23. That my regrets in life stopped me from moving on, when it's done, forget it & move on.
24. That helping others was the real path to helping every area of my own life, business &  personal
25. Not to waste my time & energy on people who didn't matter in my life
26. That although responsibility can be scary, when embraced it gives understanding, acceptance, & choice
27. That one of life's skills is to be able to spot genuine people
28. That happiness is not defined by financial wealth

These statements contains nuggets of wisdom that we can either ponder on & apply in our own lives, or disregard if you don't believe in these ideals. The choice is up to you. Each one of us has only one life to live, lets make it a point of living everyday as if its our last, take every opportunity to impart love, & happiness to those around you. You'll never know, how your simple gesture can touch a life & that you in your own special way can make a huge difference in our world.
My Mom, when she gave this piece of paper to me & as I read the words, I just felt that warmth of love touching my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment